Hiragana is one of the writing systems of Japanese. The basic set consists of 46 sounds and characters, then at least another 56 sounds made up of combinations of these first 46 characters. For more detailed information about Hiragana, please check Wikipedia.
This page is to help you in your study and mastery of Hiragana. A little bit of time spent each day practising will see your Hiragana improve at a steady rate. がんばって ください。Here are some colourful, printable Hiragana Flash Cards from Genki Kokugo.com
Once you have mastered the first 46 Hiragana, you can progress to the てんてん and まる, these are ones like がin おりがみ、で in ですand ぽ in たんぽぽ.
Then combinations. These are when you add a small や、ゆ、よ to some Hiragana.
- Master the first 46 Hiragana.
- Start to read short words.
- Build up to short sentences.
- Master the tenten, maru and combinations.
- Learn to read words containing all of these.
- Again, short sentences can be read.
- Start to read short books. These will be Picture books for starters.